VA Adds Ships to Agent Orange Exposure List
This week the VA has added the below named ships to the already existing list for Navy and Coast Guard ships and vessels that are presumed to have been exposed to Agent Orange. If you served on any of these mentioned ships and you have had a claim denied, you should reapply citing the VA list as the source for your reapplication. NAUS is told the VA is already working on a third list that will have more ships listed. If you have a claim and evidence the ship you served on was in Vietnamese waters and/or actually tied up to a dock there, make sure you include that with your claim.
(4) Vessels that operated temporarily on Vietnam's inland waterways or docked to the shore:
Compensation and Pension (C&P) Service has initiated a program to collect data on Vietnam naval operations for the purpose of providing regional offices with information to assist with development in Haas related disability claims based on herbicide exposure from Navy Veterans.
To date, we have received verification from various sources showing that a number of offshore “blue water” naval vessels conducted operations on the inland “brown water” rivers and delta areas of Vietnam. We have also identified certain vessel types that operated primarily or exclusively on the inland waterways.
The ships and dates of inland waterway service are listed below.
If a Veteran’s service aboard one of these ships can be confirmed through military records during the time frames specified, then exposure to agents can be presumed without further development.
(5)All vessels of Inshore Fire Support [IFS] Division 93 during their entire Vietnam tour
(6) All vessels with the designation LST [Landing Ship, Tank] during their entire tour
(7) WWII ships converted to transport supplies on rivers and serve as barracks for brown water Mobile Riverine Forces]
(8) Vessels with the designation LCVP [Landing
Craft, Vehicle, Personnel] during their entire tour
(9) All vessels with the designation PCF [Patrol Craft, Fast] during their entire tour [Also called Swift Boats, operating for enemy interdiction on close coastal waters]
(10) All vessels with the designation PBR [Patrol Boat, River] during their entire to ur [Also called River Patrol Boats as part of the Mobile Riverine Forces operating on inland waterways and featured in the Vietnam film “Apocalypse Now”]