|Worn from: 28
June 1972 - 22 October 1976.
Re-designated: Intelligence Center and
School -- United States Army. Worn from: 22 October
1976 - Current.
Blue and gray are the military colors. The
yellow-gold color suggests achievement, the sun represents light and
guidance, the rays emanating from the sun suggest wisdom and strength;
the torch is a symbol for knowledge. Originally known as the
Counter Intelligence Corps School, it was initially located in
Washington D.C. in 1941 and was transferred to Chicago later that
year. In 1944 it was transferred and merged with the Provost
Marshall General. It moved to Fort George G. Meade, Maryland, in
1945. It was located briefly at Fort Holabird, Maryland, before
moving to its present location at Fort Huachuca, Arizona. The
school's motto is "Custos Fidelitatis" (guardian of
|Worn from: 25
January 1972 - Current.
The sword, pen, and wreath were suggested by the
Judge Advocate General Corps insignia of the branch. The lighted
torch symbolizes intellect and leadership and refers to the school
that is located at the University of Virginia.
|Worn from: 19
October 1962 - 1 November 1969.
Re-designated: John F. Kennedy Center
for Military Assistance. Worn from: 1 November 1969
- 6 November 1984.
Re-designated: John F. Kennedy Special
Warfare Center -- United States Army. Worn from: 6
November 1984 - Current.
The lamp placed in the center of the shield refers
to the United States Army Special Warfare Center (predecessor
unit). The lamp also alludes to the United States Army Special
Warfare School. The three tongues of flames refer to the three
prime areas of instruction for which the school is responsible:
psychological operations, counter insurgency, and unconventional
warfare. The unconventional outline of the lamp, simulating the
Greek letter psi, refers to psychology -- the traits, feelings,
actions, and attributes, of the mind. The three flame spouts at
the top of the lamp simulate the heraldic delineation
"embattled"-- to array for battle. The two crossed
arrows refer to the silence and stealth with which our early
frontiersmen fought for freedom in the New World. They also
allude to the Special Forces. The Psychological Warfare Center
and School personnel wore the Third Army Patch with a blue and white
airborne tab from 1952 - 19 October 1962. The Center is located
at Fort Brigg, North Carolina.
Worn from: 5
July 1968 - 3 December 1982.
The design is taken from the old Caribbean Defense
Command patch, which denotes the location of the school. The tab
indicates proficiency in the school's mission/ Training is
conducted at Fort Sherman, Canal Zone. The fort is located on
the Caribbean side of the Isthmus of Panama.
|Worn from: 25
January 1988 - Current.
The unit's mission of training non-mechanized rapid
deployment forces is symbolized by the bayonet and wings. The
bayonet symbolizes military preparedness and the strike capability of
rapid deployment forces which train at the Joint Readiness Training
Center. The wings are emblematic of speed, mobility, and joint
training with the United States Air Force. The colors blue,
yellow, and red traditionally are associated with infantry, armor, and
artillery and reflect the combined-arms character of Joint Readiness
Center training. The overall shape is reminiscent of an arch or
portal and portrays the knowledge, education, and training provided by
the Joint Readiness Training Center. The center is located at
Fort Polk, Louisiana.
Worn from: 1970's.
The "V" is the roman numeral five and the
unit's numerical designation. The arrowhead is associated with
the special skills of the American Indians that are taught at the
school. "Recondo" refers to reconnaissance.
|Worn from: 30
January 1959 - 1 February 1970.
Re-designated: Medical Department
Center and School -- United States Army. Worn from: 30
December 1992 - Current.
The serpent is adapted from the Army Medical Service
insignia. The torch is representative of knowledge. Maroon
and white are colors traditionally associated with the Medical
Corps. The school was first established on the military
reservation at Carlisle, Pennsylvania on 1 September 1920 and is
currently located at Fort Sam Houston, Texas. The school's motto
is "To Conserve Fighting Strength."
|Worn from: 6
July 1942 - 1 September 1947.
The inscription "Student" refers to the
soldiers who wore this insignia; the letters "MISLS" are the
unit's designation. At the end of World War II the school moved
form Fort Snelling, Minnesota to the Presidio of Monterey, California
and became the Army Language School.
|Worn from: 11
February 1960 - Current.
The crossed pistols are taken from the Military
Police Corps branch insignia. The torch signifies knowledge and
enlightenment. Green and gold are the colors of the Military
Police Corps. Fort McClellan, Alabama is the school's home. The
motto of the school is "Justitia et Virtus" (Justice and
|Worn from: 13
November 1969 - Current.
The torch signifies knowledge and alludes to
training in missiles and munitions (depicted). Crimson and
yellow are the colors used for ordinance. Redstone Arsenal,
Alabama is the school's home.
|Worn from: 23
April 1982 - Current.
The colors are adapted from the coat of arms of the
national Training Center and refer to armor, infantry, and artillery,
the combat arms branches brought together to train as combat arms
teams and task forces at the national Training Center. The
arrowheads signify a concentration of training and education.
Though they converge from various angles, they form a cohesive unit
signifying the mission and capabilities of the National Training
|Worn from: 17
September 1958 - Unknown.
The design is that of the distinctive insignia for
the unit. The triangle is the symbol for the Greek letter delta
and refers to Big Delta, the airfield used during World War II for
ferrying troops to Russia. Inside the triangle is an abstract
interpretation of Mount Hays, the dominant feature in this area.
The mountain and the snow at its base indicate the cold weather and
mountain operations of the unit. The inscription, translated
from the Latin, reads "We battle cold and conquer