Military Army Schools and Centers

Page 4 of 8
Information extracted from the book
by Barry Jason Stein
Used by permission


cgsc patch

Worn from:  19 December 1974 - Current.

The chevron is indicative of the martial character of the college, and the three lamps symbolize study and learning.  The lamps also typify the three-part army:  the Regular Army, the National Guard, and the Organized Reserves.  The college is located at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas.  It was founded on 7 May 1881 as the School of Application for Infantry and Cavalry.

Def Lang Inst patch
Def Lang Inst

Worn from:  1 July 1963 - Unknown.

Located at the Presidio of Monterey, California, the torch is the symbol for knowledge.  The design is an embroidered replica of the distinctive insignia of the unit and the inscription on the scroll is the unit's designation.  Note the Rosetta stone used in the design, which first gave scholars a clue to the meaning of Egyptian hieroglyphics.  Also note the hat of the San Carlos Catalan volunteers who were Spanish troops attached to the expedition headed by father Junipero Serra, founder of the Presidio of Monterey in 1770. The hat symbolizes the military and rich historical character of the Defense Language Institute and the Presidio of Monterey.  The olive wreath signifies the aim of "peace through understanding."  The color red at the bottom of the shield represents the war-time mission of the institute.

USAECE patch

Worn from:  27 January 1959 - Current.

The castle is taken from the insignia of the Corps of Engineers.  The torch represents the organization's function as a center of enlightenment in the field of engineering.  Scarlet and white are colors used for the Corps of Engineers.  The school, located at Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri, was previously situated at Fort Belvoir, Virginia.  It can be traced back to the founding of the United States Military Academy at West Point, which for many years was the nation's only engineering school.  In 1866, the Essayons Club, devoted to the development and application of engineering principles, was established at Willets Point, New York.  It evolved into the Engineer School.  The motto of the school is "Essayons."

USAFAS patch

Worn from:  20 January 1956 - 17 July 1970.

The red and yellow of the shield are the traditional colors of the artillery.  The sixteenth-century fieldpiece, adapted from the device of the Artillery and Guided Missile School, represents the artillery training mission of the school.

USA FSAS patch 2

Worn from:  17 July 1970 - Current.

The red and yellow of the shield are the tradition colors of the artillery.  The sixteenth-century fieldpiece, adapted from the device of the Artillery and Guided Missile School, represents the artillery training mission of the school.  The school is located at Fort Sill, Oklahoma.


Army Avn Fixed Wing Tng patch
Army Avn
Fixed Wing Tng

Worn from:  Early 1960's (Unauthorized).

The insignia, using aviation colors blue and orange, depicts a Mohawk-class aircraft in flight and was worn by trainees at Fort Rucker, Alabama.

Army Area Food Svc Schl patch

Army Area
Food Svc Schl

Worn from:  1960's.

The inscription is the unit's designation.

Abn Glider Schl patch
Abn Glider Schl

Worn from:  July 1941 - 1945.

Approved for local wear only.

The insignia depicts a snorting, panting, galloping horse with two glider planes in tow.  Four stars symbolize the highest rating.

Primary Helicopter Schl patch
Primary Helicopter School

Worn from:  November 1964 - 1975.

Approved for local wear only.

The design shows a Sikorsky Helicopter in flight and the colors of the aviation school orange and black.  The school was officially established on 26 September 1956 at Camp Wolters, Texas.

Primary Helicopter School Vietnam patch
Primary Helicopter School Vietnam

Worn from:  May 1966 - March 1973.

Approved for local wear only.

he colors red and gold are from the flag of Vietnam.  The Sikorsky helicopter refers to the school's training mission.

USAICS patch

Worn from: 
23 April 1951 - Current.

The shield is of the old, long narrow shape known as the Norman.  The bayonet is point up, a token of victory.  The motto is the old familiar order "Follow Me."  Blue and white are colors for the infantry.  The school was originally established as the Infantry School of Arms at Fort Sill, Oklahoma and transferred to Fort (then Camp) Benning in 1918.

Armes Forces Info Schl patch
Armed Forces Info School

Worn from:  15 June 1951 - 3 June 1964.

The three stars represent the three branches of service (army, navy, and air force) whose personnel were enrolled at the school.  First established at Carlisle Barracks, Pennsylvania, on 27 February 1946, it was moved to Fort Slocum, New York, on 5 April 1951.  Finally it was relocated to Fort Benjamin Harrison, Indiana.