|Worn from: 14
January 1944 - 31 October 1945.
The insignia design was approved in 1944. The
wave scrolls are representative of the South Atlantic Ocean, and the
colors are those of Brazil. The projection above the wave
scrolls is representative of Ascension Island. The five stars on
the field of blue simulate the Southern Cross.
Eritrea, E. Africa
|Worn from: 30
September 1955 - 28 June 1974.
The shape of the insignia was determined by the
greater kudu horns. Both the kudu and the gazelle are native to
the area surrounding Kagnew. The gazelle in particular became a
part of the life of the station.
|Worn from: 22
June 1942 - 20 February 1947.
This patch was created for personnel assigned to the
Army War Show, a fund raiser that used live weapons and ammunition to
demonstrate the military might of the United States Army. The
design uses the letter "V" for "Victory" and the
Morse code symbol for "V" (dot, dot, dot, dash).
Apparently the color red had no other significance than to attract
|Worn from: Late
1945 - 10 February 1947.
The insignia was adopted by the Trust Command in May
1947 and worn by officers and enlisted men to identify American troops
in Trieste, a deep water port city of northeastern Italy. This
command had a mission to uphold the principles of the Free Territory
of Trieste in line with policies sent down by the Council of the
United Nations. The occupation of Trieste by elements of the
Eighty-eighth Infantry Division is represented by the four-leaf
clover, which was adapted from the division's insignia. The
white fleur-de-lys, set upon a red shield, is adapted from the coat of
arms of Triest
|Worn from: 1970's.
During the 1970's the Aggressor Forces within the
United States Army were soldiers assigned to aid in training
troops. They were the forerunners of today's opposing forces (OPFOR).
All troops of the Aggressor Forces wore a white circle enclosing a
green triangle on the left breast pocket. It is the emblem of
the Circle Trigon Party. Soldiers assigned to an artillery
missile unit wore a white triangle with a green missile superimposed
on it. The aggressor concept emerged after World War II, when
the Fifteenth United States Army was directed to prepare analytical
studies of operations in the European theater. One of the
resulting recommendations was that the army adopt more realistic means
of training. To meet this requirement, the concept of a
fictitious "maneuver enemy," complete with a national
background, history, government, military establishment, language, and
political philosophy, was adopted. The concept instills
awareness in the United States soldier that any future enemy will
differ from ourselves in language, uniform, weapons, military
organization, tactics, and ideology. The Aggressor Center was
originally located at Fort Riley, Kansas.
|Worn from: 15
January 1966 - 31 August 1966
Authorized in January of 1966 for wear by United
States troops serving as members of the Inter-American Peace
Force. FIP is an abbreviation of a Spanish phrase that means
"Inter-American Peace Force," and OEA stands for
Organization of the American States. An olive branch, held point
upwards, represents the forces' desire for peace. A map of the
western hemisphere indicates the geographical location of the
Dominican Republic. A sword pointing down indicates fighting
ability. From April 1965 to September 1966, the Eighty-second
Airborne Division was a participant in this peace force.
|Worn from: 1947
The design of the insignia is adapted from the
emblem of the United Nations, a general international organization
established at the end of World War II to promote international peace
and security. The insignia is worn by military personnel of the
headquarters of the command located near Seoul, Korea. For
nearly fifty years, the United States has participated in
multinational operations under the direction of the United
Nations. In a rare departure from the federal law that prohibits
any soldier from accepting any :badge or insignia" from a foreign
government without the consent of Congress, the United States has
authorized the wear of the familiar blue-and-white patches and
light-blue headgear. In recent times, the wearing of United
Nations' accouterments by United States military personnel has sparked
a major debate in this country over its legality.
Force 0f ETO
|Worn from: 27
March 1946 - 15 December 1952.
Red is for artillery and the lightning suggests
firepower. Blue is the color of infantry and yellow represents
cavalry. The letter "C" represents
Kiska Task Force
|Worn from: July
1943 - September 1943.
Approved for local wear only.
The origin of the design is unknown, but the knife,
symbolic for covert operations, indicates that the task the
Eighty-second Airborne Division was a participant in this peace force.
20 March 1944 - May 1945.
Re-designated: Allied Control Council
Hungary -- United States Army. Worn from: May 1945
- 1949 (Unauthorized).
The shield represents the United States.
"Magyarorszag" is Hungarian for "The Republic of
Hungry." The gold letters in the center are for United
States Allied Control Council.
|Worn from: 8
January 1951 - July 1953.
While no definitive information is available on the
meaning of the design, the green hill would represent the guerrilla
nature of the forces, and the parachute would have been used for
infiltration missions. The Partisan Forces in Korea were a band
of anti-North Korean guerrillas whose homes lay in the enemy's
territory but whose historic ties were with Seoul. Their story
appeared in an issue of Army magazine in November 1984 and
gives an impressive account of the patriotic spirit of an enslaved
people who refuse to accept defeat.
|Worn from: 1946
- 1948 (Unauthorized).
The design appears to be an embroidered replica of a
if you have the time would you rate and
or comment on this site.
Thank you, Bob
Ky. 100% Vet